What is a Blackhead?
According to Wikepedia:
A blackhead is a blocked sweat/sebaceous duct of the skin known medically as an open comedo. A comedo can be open (blackhead) or closed by skin (whitehead), and occur with or without acne.
How do you get rid of blackheads?
Well, picking and scraping at blackheads is not the way. It can cause inflammation, infection and ultimately make things even worse.
Here are 3 home remedies to get rid of blackheads fast using natural and safe ingredients.
1. Baking Soda Blackhead Remover
- Place about a teaspoon of baking soda in the palm of your hand.
- Add enough water to make a paste and gently rub on your skin, focusing on your trouble areas.
- Leave on for a few minutes or wash right away. Either way this is a great, simple exfoliator.
2. Homemade Tea Tree Oil Face Scrub
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil or Jojoba Oil
- Tbsp Honey (preferably raw or manuka honey)
- 10 drops tea tree essential oil
Mix ingredients together and apply to a damp face for several minutes. Rinse with warm water, followed by cool water to close pores.
3. Bentonite or French Green Clay Mask
At the moment I am using green clay masks, but I really want to try bentonite clay next. It's on my to do list.
How to make a clay mask:
Simply mix clay with enough water to make a paste, spread on your trouble areas. Wash off when mask is almost dry, but still a bit sticky. You can also use as a spot treatment and leave on overnight.
So should you use Bentonite or Green Clay? Let's take a look at both options.
According to Mountain Rose Herbs: (where I buy my clay)
Bentonite clay masks are very effective at removing toxins and impurities from your skin.
These are just a few simple ways to get rid of blackheads..
You know I like to keep things simple. 🙂
Do you have any natural remedies for treating blackheads? I would love to hear your comments below!
p.s. If you want a deeper cleansing and exfoliation, Mountain Rose Herbs has a great all natural scrub using green clay.