This post is sponsored by Green Sisterhood, but all opinions are my own.
Finding a safe sunscreen that is easy to apply and doesn’t leave you looking like a ghost can be a tall order. I have been searching for years trying to find a sunscreen for my family that met all of this criteria. Let’s just say fair skin runs in the family so we are very susceptible to sunburns, especially my son who is a redhead. Thankfully Goddess Garden Organics Natural Sunscreen met all of my demands and actually exceeded my expectations.
With skin cancer on the rise, it’s extremely important to wear sunscreen daily to protect your skin from both UVA and UVB rays. But did you know that the majority of sunscreens for sale today are incredibly toxic?
Yes, it’s true.
Nearly 75% of all sunscreens on the shelves at drug stores can actually be harming people rather than helping them. This is because anything that is applied topically can be absorbed through the skin and enter the bloodstream, including the dangerous ingredients in traditional sunscreens.
Some of these chemicals have even been linked to the disruption of natural hormone regulation, including:
- Oxybenzone – One popular ingredient found in a number of sunscreens is called Oxybenzone and exposure to it could result in early puberty for young girls and low sperm count for men. [1. http://www.ewg.org/news/testimony-official-correspondence/cdc-americans-carry-body-burden-toxic-sunscreen-chemical] Oxybenzone has also been linked to reproductive issues such as endometriosis.
- Octinoxate – Octinoxate is also a highly toxic ingredient often found in sunscreens and is known as a chemical that disrupts hormones. [2. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/704203/OCTINOXATE/]
- Retinyl – Retinyl is yet another poisonous substance included in most sunscreens and researchers believe that it may actually promote carcinogenic activity when exposed to the sun. [3. http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705545/RETINYL_PALMITATE_%28VITAMIN_A_PALMITATE%29/#] Not to mention, these kinds of chemicals can also cause irritation and severe allergic reactions among people with sensitive skin.
As a parent I know you want to protect your family from exposure to these chemicals, but what are your options?
Mineral Sunscreens vs. Chemical Sunscreens
There is a huge difference between mineral and chemical sunscreens.
Mineral Sunscreen does not absorb into the skin and is effective immediately after application, unlike conventional sunscreens. These healthier types of sunscreen effectively protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays with the use of zinc or titanium. The zinc oxide acts as a mirror-like reflector. Since they don’t absorb through the skin, mineral sunscreens are even safe enough for babies, kids and pregnant or nursing mothers.
Chemical Sunscreen absorbs into the skin along with a cocktail of toxic ingredients making their way into the bloodstream. Chemical sunscreen works by absorbing the UV rays and converting them to less harmful energy rays. They take about 20 minutes to become effective.
With summer vacation coming, I really wanted to find a safe sunscreen that was easier to apply than some of the brands I have used in the past. I have officially fallen in love with Garden Goddess Organics Natural Sunscreen!
Goddess Garden Safe Sunscreen Review
Goddess Garden founder, Nova Covington, started formulating this safe product line initially for her daughter Paige, who was allergic to most body care products.
About Goddess Garden Sunscreen
- All of Goddess Garden’s products are certified organic.
- Their sunscreens contain no sketchy chemicals like oxybenzone or octinoxate.
- Non-Nano Zinc and titanium are the only active ingredients in their sunscreens.
- You get immediate protection when applied from UVA and UVB rays.
- It won’t leave you looking like a ghost! (big plus)
- All products are reef safe and biodegradable.
- Their packaging is recyclable.
My Experience With Goddess Garden Organics
I received a few different products from Goddess Garden, including their Everyday and Sport Sunscreen. Goddess Garden is the only company that offers an all mineral sunscreen in a continuous spray. Yeahhh! I can finally experience the convenience of a safe spray sunscreen!
Goddess Garden Everyday Sunscreen: I’ve been using the everyday sunscreen on my kids when we’re playing outside, or at baseball games. The continuous spray makes application a breeze. It does still need to be rubbed in to ensure even coverage. You also want to avoid spraying it on the face.
I LOVE that this sunscreen rubs in clear and doesn’t leave a white film. We haven’t had any sunburns since we started using Goddess Garden Sunscreen. This sunscreen is only water resistant for 40 minutes, but is great for everyday wear. It should be re-applied every 2 hours under normal conditions.
Goddess Garden Sport Sunscreen: If you need a water resistant sunscreen, Goddess Garden Sport is a great option. I can’t wait to put this to good use in a few weeks at the beach. But for now we are using it for my two sons and their sweaty baseball games. It is water resistant for up to 80 minutes. Goddess Garden Sport is white going on, but quickly rubs in without leaving a ghostly residue.
Special Discount Offer
Excited to try Goddess Garden Safe Sunscreen? Save 20% off of your sunscreen order from May 19 – July 31, 2015 with the Coupon Code: #SunSafeGoddess. Click Here to Order!
Goddess Garden Safe Sunscreen Giveaway
Garden Goddess is also giving away 100, 1 oz bottles of sunscreen and 500 samples. Enter Here!